Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Typical Owls :: Mottled Owl
Mottled Owl Ciccaba virgata
Described by: Cassin (1849)
Alternate common name(s): American Wood-Owl
Old scientific name(s): Strix virgata
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeMexico through Central America and c. South America to ne. Argentina;
(1) W. Mexico (s. Sonora, sw. Chihuaua, Sinaloa, Jalisco, Guanajuato).
(2) Ec. Mexico (s. Tamaulipas, San Luis Potosi, c. Nuevo Leon and the Yucatan).
(3) S. Mexico to w. Panama.
(4) E. Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Trinidad, Ecuador, e. Peru, n. and e. Bolivia and Amazonian Brazil.
(5) Guyana, Surinam and Guiana.
(6) Nc. and ne. Brazil.
(7) Se. Brazil (Bahia, Chapada Diamantina, Lencois), Paraguay and ne. Argentina (Misiones).
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Naturesongs.com
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.