Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Buttonquail :: Barred Buttonquail
Barred Buttonquail Turnix suscitator
Described by: Gmelin (1789)
Alternate common name(s): Bustard Quail, Sunda Buttonquail, Lesser Sunda Buttonquail, Common Buttonquail, Dusky Buttonquail, Indian Buttonquail, Philippine Buttonquail
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeIndia to se. Asia and islands of Indian and Pacific Oceans;
Fragmented island populations;
(2) Sri Lanka.
(3) Nepal, Sikkim, Bangladesh, ne. India (Assam) to ne. Burma.
(4) Ne. India (lower West Bengal).
(5) S. Japan (s. Kyushu), c. and s. Ryukyu Is. (Okinawa Is.).
(7) Burma, n. Vietnam, se. China and Hainan Is.
(8) Sc. Burma.
(9) C. Thailand.
(10) Malaya Peninsula (s. Burma and s. Thailand).
(11) Malay Peninsula.
(12) Sumatra (Riau and Lingga Archipelago), Belitung Is. and Bangka Is. to Java and Bali.
(13) Bawean Is. off Java.
(14) N. Philippine Is. (Luzon, Mindoro, Sibuyan, Masbate).
(15) W. Philippines (Palawan and Calamian Is.).
(16) Ce. Philippine Is. (Panay s. to Negros and Cebu).
(18) Lesser Sundas (Lombok, Sumbawa,Sangeang, Flores, Lomblen, Alor).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.