Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Grouse :: Willow Ptarmigan
Willow Ptarmigan Lagopus lagopus
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Willow Grouse, Scottish Ptarmigan, Red Grouse
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 1 more images.
(1) Scotland (Lothian), Wales and n. England (Shetland and Devon) including the Orkney Is., Inner and Outer Hebrides and Ireland from sealevel to 900m.
(2) Islands off Trondheim Fjord, sw. Norway.
(3) Scandinavia (Norway (Straumsbukta, Troms), Finland and n. European Russia.
(4) Baltic States s. to n. Lithuania and across c. Russia s. to n. Belarus, and e. to the Kama Basin.
(5) New Siberia Is.
(6) Siberia from the Ural Mountains and Yamal Peninsula to the Pacific Ocean and s. to Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk, Yakutsk and n. coast of the Sea of Okhotsk.
(7) Se. Russia, n. Kazakhstan, Kirghiz steppes and sw. Siberia e. to the foothills of the Altai Mountains;
(8) Altai Mountains of e. Kazakhstan, and Mongolia, and Sayan Mountains of Buryatia.
(9) W. Mongolia in the Tannu-Ola, Khangai and Kentei Mountains.
(10) E. Siberia from Lake Baikal to the Sea Okhotsk s. to the Khingan Mountains and the Sikhote Alin Mountains in Manchuria (Heilongjiang?) in ne. China, Amurland, and Ussuriland.
(11) Kamchatka and n. Kuril Is.
(12) Sakhalin Is.
(13) E. Aleutian Is. (Atka to Unimak), Shumagin Is. and Kodiak Is.
(14) Is. off se. Alaska and nw. British Columbia.
(16) Arctic is. off n. Canada (Banks, Victoria, Southampton, s. Melville, Bathurst and w. Baffin Is.) and adjacent mainland.
(17) N. Canada from n. Yukon and c. British Columbia e. through c. Ontario e. to the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
(18) Ne. Canada (e. of Hudson Bay in n. Quebec and n. Labrador).
North America n. of Mexican border;
Summer and winter: ALK, YUK, s. to sc. BCO, ex. cw. ALB, sc. MAC, KEE, ne. MAN (Churchill), n. ONT, n. QUE, LAB, and NFD;
Winter: extending s. to n. ALB, n. SAS, and sporadically s. to c. MAN, c. ONT, sc. QUE, and nw. NBR.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.